A perfect recipe to combine those abundant end of summer veggies. This quick and easy version makes a large batch, about 10 cups, enough to eat some this week plus freeze the rest to eat later during the winter.
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 small or 1 large eggplant, diced
• 4-6 large tomatoes (or can substitute 1-15 ounce can stewed tomatoes)
• 1 medium zucchini diced into large chunks
• 1 medium size yellow summer squash, dice into chunks
• 2-3 sweet peppers, assorted colors, seed and then dice into chunks
• 1-2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
• ~1-2 Tbsp. olive oil (just enough to sauté onion/garlic)
• salt and pepper to taste (not much is needed)
• Sauté the onion and garlic until tender
• Add eggplant and tomatoes, bring to simmer
• Simmer, covered for 15 minutes
• Add zucchini
• Simmer for 10-15 more minutes until vegetables are soft but not mushy
• Remove from heat
• Stir in the herbs, season to taste
• Rice, bulgur, cous-cous, or any cooked whole grain
• Baked or boiled potatoes
• Fish (one of my favorites - just spread on top of salmon filets and put into the oven to bake together)
• Add to some plain hummus
You could also add diced chicken, sauteed firm tofu, tempeh, and more seasonal vegetables (next time I will add some fresh corn cut off the cob). The dish may be topped with grated cheese at the time of serving, or put the grated cheese into a side dish so that vegans can pass if desired.
I saved about 1 cup to cook with salmon tomorrow and froze the rest in 2-1 quart containers.
I'll end with a grace appropriate to the ending of the growing season as we contemplate all the work that has gone into the planting and tending to bring us the 'fruit of the earth' to nourish both our bodies and our spirits:
Bless, O Lord, the plants,
and the herbs of the field,
that they may grow
and increase to fullness
and bear much fruit.
And may the fruit of the land
remind us of the spiritual fruit
we should bear.
~~ Coptic Orthodox liturgy (the Church of Egypt, established in AD 42)
Diana Dyer, MS, RD